Thursday, April 10, 2014

Blog Post #12

In the video Teaching Math to The-Blind, professor Art Karshmer at University of San Francisco introduced to us the idea how blind person can do math. His idea is to build the advice to lay the simple math problem using small block have Braille in the front and visual number on the phone, and they can read on the grid by using their finger to solve the problem. As a educator in the future, I learn that this idea will be really useful for my classroom if I have disabilities student such as blind student in my class. I think I can show the blind student to do math with their finger, but with larger number, I think the Braille system is really helpful. Mathematics is a hard subject for the blind person to learn, but with this system, I think blind student will be able to learn and do math like other students.

teaching math for blind person


In the video iPad usage for the blind, I learned a lot of useful information about the blind person using a iPad to read book and others things. Whenever the blind person touches the screen, the voiceover will give them the navigation and direction to where they want to go. However,Wesley Majerus demonstrated how to use iPad to read book on iBooks. The voice gives Wesley Majerus options to what he wants to do, if he wants to go to the library in iBook, he has to double tap, so the iPad will take him to the iBook library. I think iPad becomes a friend for blind persons, it helps them read book and others situations.

 blind person


voiceover

1 comment:

  1. Hi Annie! I was blown away by how useful technology is for the vision and hearing impaired community. Having these tools available for students and even their parents is helpful. I also never considered that math is difficult for blind students. I was thankful this article let me glimpse at their struggle.
    I could even imagine using this technology for struggling readers. Having iPads or other tablets read material to emergent or struggling readers would give those students needed exposure and confidence.
    Enjoy your journey in education. I am so excited to see that the Lord is enabling your dream of becoming a teacher to come true.

    ReplyDelete