Thursday, January 30, 2014

Blog Post #3 How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers

After I watch the video What is Peer Editing, I learned plenty informations about peer editing. What is peer? Peer is someone at your own age. What is editing? Editing means making suggestions, comments, compliments and changes to writing. Peer editing is working with someone at your age to help improve, revise and edit his or her writing.

There are three steps to peer editing:

1. Compliments

The first rule for peer editing is stay positive ,you're helping someone improved his or her writing. The second rule is tell the writer what you think about his or her writing.

stay positive
2. Suggestions

Suggestions is contributing the author some specific ideas to help his or her writing better such as word choice, using details, organization, sentences and topic.

word choice
3. Corrections

Corrections means checking paper for spelling, grammar, missing punctuation and incomplete or run-on sentences.

 grammar
There are ten peer editing mistakes I learned after I watched the humorous video. First of all, I learn that the first rule for peer editing is compliment, not to point out every errors. Do not be too picky or too loud. If you do not understand anything, you can talk to your peer, and do not interrupt others people around you. You should stay on the topic and be specific on your suggestions. Remember, you cannot be mean or rude with your peer's writing, always say something positive.

feedback

2 comments:

  1. I thought those were three great rules as well. I feel that compliments can really go a long way with making someone more receptive to any sort of constructive criticism that might be needed. Like you said, "you cannot be mean or rude with your peer's writing, always say something positive" and I completely agree. As long as we provide the corrective feedback while still pointing out the good in that person's work, I think this can be a great tool to use with our students, and amongst ourselves. I'm the type of person that appreciates any sort of help I can get!

    Your post was very informative on what peer editing is and how we can go about making sure we conduct ourselves the right way. No one wants to feel as if their work is devalued after having it picked and combed over by another individual. How do you feel about peer editing though? I remember doing it a good bit in elementary school, but it was a rare occasion in middle or even high school. Asking my peers for help slowly morphed into just asking my teacher or professor to look and review my work, since he or she was the one giving me the grade for it.

    Random side note: I don't know about you, but I had a hard time finding a picture to post with my blog that someone else didn't already use. I think I cycled through about 5 different pictures until finally landing on one that I thought was unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What is peer? Peer is someone at your own age." Just a thought but you have peers in this class that are not necessarily in your age group. According to Merriam Webster Dictionary a peer is: "one that is of equal standing with another." In this setting, both of you are students. Peers can be those outside of your age group if you are of equal standing with one another.

    Please be sure to include alt and title modifiers for all pictures. If you need assistance see one of the lab assistants in the EDM lab.

    ReplyDelete